Date & Time of Commencement Ceremony
- Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. on the Campus Mall.
- Graduates must arrive at OCC by 5:00 p.m. to prepare for the procession.
- Graduates will assemble in the Gymnasium of the Health and Human Performance Center (#29).
- Late graduates will enter the procession at the end of the line.
- There is no rehearsal; please make arrangements to arrive on time so you will know what to do for the ceremony.
Inclement Weather Provision
- In the event of severe weather conditions, Commencement will be moved to Friday, May 25, 2018 at 10:00 a.m.
- The decision to move the ceremony will be made by 12:00 noon on Thursday, May 24, 2018 and will be announced on the College website (www.ocean.edu), Ocean TV20, or by calling 732.255.0400 for a recorded message.
- In the unlikelihood of inclement weather on Friday, May 25, 2018 the Commencement Ceremony will be canceled. Students will report directly to the Gymnasium where pictures will be taken as graduates receive congratulations.
Commencement Security Announcement
To ensure the safety and security of our Ocean County College community, security procedures will be in place during our Commencement Ceremony on May 24, 2018.
ALL backpacks, large bags and umbrellas are prohibited from campus during the Commencement ceremony. All other bags will be subject to search.
We appreciate your cooperation and understanding.
- Guests must arrive by 6:00 p.m.
- Guests are not permitted to save seats.
- There is no limit on the number of guests. Tickets not required.
- Parking Lot 3R is designated for handicapped parking on a first-come, first-served basis. State issued handicapped parking pass required.
- Students participating in the Commencement Ceremony who require special accommodations should contact the Office of Student Life at 732.255.0400 Ext. 2139, at least three days prior to the ceremony.
Cap and Gown
- For all students who have submitted an application for graduation, an invitation will be mailed to your home.
- If you elected to participate in the Commencement Ceremony, the purchase of a cap and gown from the Herff Jones website was required.
- You should already have ordered a cap and gown at the Herff Jones website or purchased these items directly from the bookstore. Purchasing a cap and gown constitutes your registration to participate in the Commencement Ceremony.
- If you have not purchased a cap and gown, it is assumed you have elected not to participate in the Commencement Ceremony.
- Please note: If you do not complete the requirements for your degree by the end of the 2018 Summer Sessions, you must reapply for Graduation 2019.
Cap & Gown Distribution
- Pick up your cap, gown, hood, and green tassel at the College Bookstore beginning May 7, 2018.
Please present paid receipt at pickup.
- Visit this link to order Ocean County College Graduation Products, including your cap and gown from the College Bookstore: (new link coming soon).
- Questions concerning Caps and Gowns should be directed to the Bookstore at 732.255.0333.
Honors, Cum Laude, NJ STARS, & Phi Theta Kappa
- Honors by Contract students who complete the program are eligible for the tassel and stole.
- Students with a final grade point average of 3.5 or greater are eligible for a Gold tassel.
- Phi Theta Kappa students may purchase a PTK stole.
- Students graduating from the NJ STARS program are eligible to receive a pin recognizing their efforts.
- Note: Due to the dependence on final grades, these special tassels and pins will not be available when students pick up their caps and gowns. Honors, PTK, and NJ STARS students should stop in the Registration and Records Office on May 23rd or 24th to pick up their tassel, stole and/or pin for use at the ceremony.
- Note: Phi Theta Kappa members who have not already done so must immediately inform Student Life at 732.255.0348 of plans to graduate. Failure to do so will result in your being omitted from the PTK list for the stole and your status will not be noted in the Commencement program.
Actual diplomas will not be available at the ceremony. Diplomas can be picked up at the Registration and Records Office:
- FALL 2017 completion graduates – Diplomas available starting March 12, 2018.
- SPRING 2018 completion graduates – Diplomas available starting July 23, 2018.
- SUMMER 2018 completion graduates – Diplomas available starting October 22, 2018.
IDENTIFICATION IS REQUIRED TO PICK UP A DIPLOMA
- Island Photography will take pictures of graduates as they receive congratulations.
- Island Photography will e-mail proofs to you, but you are under no obligation to purchase.
- Island Photography will not sell the graduation list for any other purpose.
- Family and friends may still take their own pictures at the ceremony.